Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Body Types

Maybe it’s your thighs, your stomach, or your upper arms. Regardless of where it is, many of us have at least one area that makes us feel self conscious because it isn’t as lean and toned as we’d like it to be – a problem area where stubborn fat gathers and stays.
When we try to lose weight we tend to focus on our problem areas and sometimes we get frustrated that we haven't seen a change. It seems we lose weight in every spot but the one we notice the most. Is it really possible to target those fat gathering locations and lose weight in one particular area of your body?
Here's what I found out: It is a myth that it's possible to cause your body to lose fat from only a certain area. You can tone a specific area with exercises, but you cannot cause your body to burn fat in one specific location. When we lose weight, we lose it all over. Fat comes off gradually from all over our body, not just a few selected spots.
Imagine with me. Remember when I used the analogy that a pound of fat is like a pound of butter? Well, every time I walk and am sweating I imagine the fat is melting off all the parts of my body, just as a stick of butter would melt. As the stick of butter melts it gets smaller, but it always retains its original shape.
Under all our layers of fat, whether it's 20 pounds or 10o pounds, we have a shape. My shape happens to be a rectangle. That means when I put on extra weight it gets focused from my thighs to my shoulders in a geometric shape that offers no rooms for waistlines and curves. It also means that when I finish losing weight I still will not have a waist line...bummer!
Keep your body shape in mind as you are losing weight so you don't get discouraged. I guarantee that as you lose weight over your entire body you will be happy with the results! You can't change your body type, but you can change the size and tone of your body. And to all the other rectangles out there...here's to wide belts!

1 comment: