Wednesday, July 6, 2011

I Wish I Had a Personal Chef

I love eating salads. I hate making salads. If you do it right, salads can be a great addition to your food portfolio. It's really like a smorgasbord on a plate. I have, for the most part, been sticking to eating a salad a day for the last two weeks.
The tricky part is making sure that everything you are including in your salad is beneficial - watch out for high calorie dressings, cheese, and fried toppings. Even when you are eating a salad, calories are still very important.
Since I don't employ my own food preparer (shucks), I have come up with a few of my own recipes. Here is my favorite: I call it the Green and Potato Salad. This salad is high in potassium, calcium, and protein. It's a Big Salad (Seinfeld fans please chuckle with me) that will keep you full for a few hours and has approximately 400 calories and 10 grams of fiber!

2 Cups lettuce, I like Taylor Organic Baby Romaine
1/2 Cup quartered cucumber
1 small baked potato, diced (I bake ahead and refrigerate for quick fixes)
1/4 Cup sliced yellow bell pepper
5 green olives, halved
1/2 medium avocado, sliced
1 Tablespoon crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
1 Tablespoon dressing, I like Newman's Own Family Recipe Italian
Spices, I like to add dill, and a grinder with mustard seed, pepper, and garlic

The great thing about salads is that they are so versatile. You can make them fresh for dinner, ahead of time for work, or get them on the go. Let me challenge you to make a salad part of your plan today! Let's raise our forks and toast...here's to healthier lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment