Monday, July 4, 2011

Today I'm Cheating

Today would have been my grandfather, Walter Grace's, 87th birthday. It is also of note that today we celebrate our independence as a country, which I am so grateful for. As a kid, next to Christmas, this was my favorite day of the year. You see, my family would honor both great American achievements by having a huge family reunion. There was every kind of picnic food imaginable, soda pop galore, fireworks, baseball, swimming at the creek...did I mention the food?
I have a lot of memories and mental pictures of these days, but there are 2 that stick out the most. The first is my Poppi drowning his birthday cake with beer to put out the plethora of trick candles. The second is more of a consciousness about my relationship with food. I remember deciding one year that I was going to let my pleasure of eating this yummy food take precedent over my being responsible about what I was eating. I was only a kid, but when I was eating to the point where my stomach ached so I drank soda pop to burp to relieve the pressure...even 7 year old me could recognize that as irresponsible!
Well, today I am going to be responsible. Long gone are the days of the 4th of July reunions, but I still use the excuse of a national holiday to go willy nilly. Don't get me wrong. I'm definitely going to enjoy some treats like burgers and apple pie. But, I'm planning on cheating.
I've worked really hard over the last 8 days. I lost 2.5 pounds last week! I still have 16.5 pounds to go to reach my goal, and I know that rewarding myself once in a while is a good way to get there.
Be very specific as to when and how you are going to treat yourself, and stick to it! When you plan to cheat it's not really cheating, is it?

1 comment:

  1. I had started following the 4 hour body last week and lost 6lbs... part of his plan is that you have a cheat day each week. He says that it actually helps because it kind of throws your body off a little so it doesn't get into that rut where you plateau. It kinda turned more into a cheat weekend, but not too crazy. I am all about giving in a little otherwise you feel miserable and deprived and are more likely to just give it up as a whole.

    ReplyDelete