Tuesday, July 12, 2011

You Might Need New Sneakers If...

Let me share some feelings I have toward new sneakers: I love how you feel taller when you get a new pair because you haven't squished down the inside yet; they look so sharp, and I feel like a little kid expecting everyone to notice and comment on my new kicks; new sneaker smell makes me smile, period.
I think that sneakers are the most important part of your workout wardrobe. They really determine whether or not you are going to hit the gym or get outside. You don't have to spend a lot of money on them, but you do need to make sure you like the way they look and that they fit your foot right. I think that if you like your running shoes, and they feel comfortable, then you are much more likely to exercise. Just sayin'.
I logged 247 miles with my last sneakers (I use tally marks on my calendar to keep track) before the air pocket popped. It seemed a little premature to me, so I researched how often you should get new pair. Here are some suggestions:
  • You should get new sneakers every 250-500 miles depending on your weight, the running surface, and your weekly mileage. For instance, someone who runs or walks 20 plus miles a week will need to replace them about every 3 -4 months (now it makes sense that mine wore out).
  • If your lower back, ankles, feet, shins, or heels hurt, or if you have blisters that just won't go away, it's probably time to go shopping (sometimes simply purchasing new athletic socks will fix the blister issue).
  • Don't just look at the outside of your shoes for wear, the inside of your shoe usually breaks down first. If you can twist your shoe your mid soles are worn and it's time for a new pair.
I think a lot of times the upfront cost of a new pair of sneakers can delay their purchase. We have a very tight budget, so I get it. But, this is one of those purchases that you need to find the money for! After all, we're not just talking about style. We're talking about healthy living. Speaking of, I'm down another pound...that makes 5 pounds total!

1 comment: